(Archived - Former commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing - Left the 507th ARW in June 2018) Colonel Douglas E. Gullion is commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The 507th ARW consists of three subordinate groups and eleven squadrons employing more than 1,100 citizen Airmen. This Air Force Reserve Command wing reports to Fourth Air Force and supports Air Mobility Command's airlift and air refueling requirements, United States Strategic Command's alert and emergency war order requirements as well as C-17, KC-135 and in the future, KC-46 training requirements at a geographically separated unit at Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
The wing operates and maintains eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft providing world-wide aerial refueling to U.S. and NATO aircraft in times of peace, war, and national emergency. The wing also provides peacetime administrative support functions for the 513th Air Control Group, the Reserve Command's only Airborne Warning and Control Systems organization, 35th Combat Communications Squadron and the 1st Aviation Standards Flight.
Col. Gullion graduated from Purdue University in 1983 and went to work as an electrical engineer in the automotive electronics industry. He entered the Air Force Reserve in 1987 and received his commission through USAF Officer Training School. He continued on to Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus AFB, Miss. Following pilot training, he attended KC-135 Combat Crew Training School at Castle AFB, Calif, and then joined the 72nd Air Refueling Squadron at Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind. as a traditional reservist. After flying combat support and combat missions during Operations DESERT SHIELD / DESERT STORM, he upgraded to Aircraft Commander and helped stand up the 74th Air Refueling Squadron at Grissom. While assigned to the 74th he upgraded to instructor pilot and served as a Flight Commander and senior flight examiner.
In 2005, Colonel Gullion became an Air Reserve Technician and served as the 74th ARS Chief Pilot, 434th ARW Chief of Safety, 72nd ARS Operations Officer / Squadron Commander and 434th OSS Commander. He has been mobilized and deployed six times for Operations DESERT SHIELD / DESERT STORM, ALLIED FORCE, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the 507th Operations Group Commander here. He is a Command Pilot with over 6,500 military flying hours.
1983 Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology,
Purdue University, Ind.
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by Correspondence
2008 Air War College, by Correspondence
2011 Master of Science Degree, Aeronautical Sciences, Embry-Riddle University
1. November 1987 - March 1988, Officer Trainee, Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. April 1988 - April 1989, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. May 1989 - August 1989, Student, KC-135 Combat Crew Training, Castle AFB, Calif.
4. August 1989 - June 1992, KC-135 Pilot, 72nd Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
5. June 1992 - Feb 1996, KC-135 Aircraft Commander, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
6. Feb 1996 - October 2005, KC-135 Instructor Pilot, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
7. October 2005 - April 2007, Chief Pilot, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
8. April 2007 - March 2009, Chief of Safety, 434th Air Refueling Wing, Grissom ARB, Ind.
9. March 2009 - March 2013, Operations Officer, 72nd Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
10. March 2013 - June 2013, Commander, 72nd Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
11. June 2013 - November 2014, Commander, 434th Operations Support Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
12. November 2014 - April 2016, Commander, 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. April 2016 - Present, Commander, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Military Flight Hours: Over 6,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135E/R/T, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Kosovo Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, March 1988
First Lieutenant, April 1990
Captain, August 1993
Major, October 2000
Lieutenant Colonel, October 2007
Colonel, September 2014
(Current as of April 2016)