Colonel Michael B. Parks is the commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The 507th Air Refueling Wing consists of three subordinate groups, eleven squadrons employing over 1,100 citizen Airmen, and reports to Fourth Air Force. The wing operates and maintains eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft providing world-wide aerial refueling, aeromedical, and airlift capacity to U.S. and allied nations in support of Air Mobility Command's rapid global mobility, United States Strategic Command's alert and emergency war order, and Air Education Command’s formal training unit missions.
Colonel Parks was commissioned following his graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. His previous assignments include pilot duties in the C-5A/B, C-37A, KC-135R/T, and KC-46A, and staff service at the Pacific Air Forces, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, and the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force for International Affairs. He served as the Chief of Safety for the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, the Commander, 351st Air Refueling Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England, the Chief, Air Mobility Division, 603d Air Operations Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany, and as the Vice Commander, 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, North Carolina.
Colonel Parks is a Command Pilot, having logged over 3,500 hours in airlift, tanker, and distinguished visitor support aircraft. He is a graduate of Air Mobility Command’s executive leadership development cross-flow program PHOENIX REACH.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Defense Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. July 1993–May 1997, Cadet, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. August 1997–September 1998, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
3. February 1999–May 2002, Chief of Safety and Chief Executive Officer, 9th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
4. May 2002–August 2003, 436th Operations Group Pilot Training Manager, 436th Operations Support Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
5. August 2003–August 2005, Chief, Wing Current Ops, 65th Airlift Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
6. August 2005–August 2007, Chief, PACAF OSA Stan/Eval Programs, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
7. August 2007–June 2008, Assistant Director of Operations, 93d Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
8. June 2008–April 2009, OPLAN 8010 Alert Force Manager and Chief, Plans and Exercises, 92d Operations Group, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
9. April 2009–June 2010, Senior Executive Officer, 92d Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
10. August 2010–July 2011, Student, National Defense Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2011–October 2012, Australia and New Zealand Country Director, Pacific Division, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, HQ Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. November 2012–May 2013, South Asia and Oceania Branch Chief, Pacific Division, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, HQ Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2013–June 2014, Chief of Safety, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
14. June 2014–July 2016, Commander, 351st Air Refueling Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
15. July 2016–June 2018, Chief, Current Operations Branch and Deputy Chief, Operations and Plans Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. July 2018–June 2019, Chief, Air Mobility Division, 603d Air Operations Center, Ramstein AB, Germany
17. July 2019–October 2020, Vice Commander, 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
18. November 2020–present, Commander, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,500
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-1A, C-5A/B, C-37A, KC-135R/T, and KC-46A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with ‘N’ device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Jan. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2012
Colonel Sept. 1, 2018
(Current as of November 2020)