Chief Master Sergeant Stephen D. Nicholas is the Command Chief of the 507th Air Refueling Wing at Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. As the senior enlisted non-commissioned officer, Nicholas is responsible for advising the commander on the health, welfare, morale and discipline of the Citizen Airmen in the largest Air Force Reserve flying unit in the state of Oklahoma. The wing consists of three subordinate groups and 11 squadrons employing more than 1,100 Airmen operating and maintaining eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft. The wing also provides peacetime administrative support functions for the 513th Air Control Group.
Throughout his career, Nicholas has filled many roles such as shop Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Superintendent, VIP/EP Specialist for inbound Generals, Professional Development Facilitator and Instructor. In 2005, Nicholas deployed to the United Arab Emirates in support of Enduring Freedom. In 2012, Nicholas was the first enlisted members to be assigned as the Counter Narcotic Program Manager under the control of US CENTOM. While working at the US Embassy in the Kyrgyz Republic, Nicholas managed a Forty Million Dollar portfolio of equipment, training and construction as well as Executive Protection Coordinator for the US Ambassador.
1993 USAF NCO Preparatory Course
1994 Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration, Central Michigan University
1994 AFRC NCO Leadership Development Course
1997 Police Academy - Delta Community College
2002 USAF NCO Academy, by correspondence
2004 USAF Senior NCO Academy, by correspondence
2006 AFRC Senior NCO Leadership Course, by correspondence
2009 AFRC Professional Development Center NCO Leadership Course Facilitator training
2014 Associates in Applied Science degree in Construction Technology, CCAF
2014 AFRC Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course
2014 AFIT WMGT 570 Civil Engineer Superintendent Course
2018 AFSO21 Green Belt Academics, Youngstown ARS, OH
2019 R.L. Oatman Dignitary & Executive Protection (3 day course)
- June 1989 - July 1989, Air Force Basic Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
- August 1989 - July 1997, Structural Craftsman, 927 Civil Engineer Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
- July 1997 - June 2000, Structural Specialist, 366th Training Squadron, Det. 6, Naval Construction Battalion Center, Gulfport, Miss.
- June 2000 - September 2007, Structural NCOIC, 927th Civil Engineer Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
- August 2005 – February 2006, (Deployed), Structural NCOIC, 380th Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
- September 2007 - January 2008, Structural Superintendent, 927th Civil Engineer Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
- January 2008 - November 2012, Structural Superintendent, 94th Civil Engineer Squadron, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
- March 2012 - March 2013, CENTCOM Counter Narcotic Program Manager, US Embassy Bishkek, Kyrygz Republic
- November 2012 - January 2015, Chief Engineer Manager, 622nd Civil Engineer Flight (S-Team), Dobbins ARB, Ga.
- January 2015 - March 2020, Chief Of Operations, 910th Civil Engineer Squadron, Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio
- March 2020 - Present, Command Chief, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service
Armed Forces Reserve medal With 1 ‘M’ Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Airman of the Year, 927th Tactical Airlift Wing 1992
Academic Distinguished Graduate, Civil Engineer Management Craftsman Course, 1996
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant March 1, 2014
(Current as of April 2020)