ARCHIVED - Colonel Esteban L. ”Esty” Ramirez is the Vice Commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The wing operates and maintains eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft providing world-wide aerial refueling to U.S. and NATO aircraft in times of peace, war, and national emergency, employing over 1,100 citizen Airmen. The wing also provides peacetime administrative support functions for the 513th Air Control Group, Air Force Reserve Command's only Airborne Warning and Control Systems organization as well as the 1st Aviation Standards Flight.
Colonel Ramirez graduated and received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1991, then graduated in 1993 from Undergraduate Pilot Training at Reese AFB, Texas. Colonel Ramirez is a command pilot with more than 5,000 hours. Throughout his career, he has served in various capacities, such as instructor/evaluator/Chief pilot positions, as well as squadron, vice, and wing command.
Colonel Ramirez mobilized four times in support of worldwide contingencies accumulating more than 100 combat sorties and 1,000 hours of combat and combat support as part of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, JOINT FORGE, DENY FLIGHT, RESTORE HOPE, ALLIED FORCE, NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, and NEW DAWN. In his civilian capacity, the colonel’s background includes flying as a pilot with a major airline, as well as managing aircraft development as the Director of Systems Engineering for a major aircraft manufacturer.
1991 Bachelor of Science in Engineering Sciences, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1996 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Master of Arts in Human Resource Development, Webster University, Saint Louis, Mo.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Mobility Commanders Tactics Course, Saint Joseph ANG Base, Mo.
2014 USSTRATCOM Strategic Weapons Commander Course, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2014 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
2015 Leadership Today and Tomorrow, Washington D.C.
2017 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint and Combined Warfare School, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Director of Mobility Forces (DIRMOBFOR) Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1. May 1991 - December 1991, Assistant Current Operations, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. December 1991 - January 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
3. January 1993 - September 1993, Student, KC-135R Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
4. September 1993 - June 1994, KC-135R Pilot, 28th Air Refueling Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. October 1993 - June 1994, T-38 Advanced Co-pilot Enrichment, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
6. June 1994 - February 1997, KC-135R Aircraft Commander/Executive Officer/Chief of Safety, 350th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. July 1994 - February 1997, C-12 CTP Aircraft Commander, 22d Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
6. February 1997 - April 1998, 22d Air Refueling Wing Flying Safety Officer, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. April 1998 - January 1999, T-1A Instructor Pilot, 48th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
8. January 1999 - April 1999, 14th Flying Training Wing Flying Safety Officer, Columbus AFB, Miss.
9. April 1999 - January 2000, Chief of Safety, Joint Special Operations Task Force II, San Vito AB, Italy
10. January 2000 - December 2000, Life Support Officer, 48th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
11. December 2000 - August 2013, KC-135R Instructor/Evaluator/Flight Commander/Chief Pilot, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
12. August 2013 - April 2016, Commander, 931st Operations Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
13. April 2016 - June 2017, Vice Commander, 932d Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. June 2017 - November 2017, Commander, 932d Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. November 2017 - December 2018, Vice Commander, 932d Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. December 2018 - December 2019, IMA to the Director, Operations and Plans J3, US Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. December 2019 - November 2020, Vice Commander, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
April 1999 - January 2000, Chief of Safety, Wartime Joint Special Operations Task Force II (Kosovo), San Vito AB, Italy
December 2018 - December 2019, IMA to the Director, Operations and Plans J3, US Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft Flown: T-38, T-1, C-12, KC-135R/T, C-40, BE-300, BE-400, MD-82/83, B-737, B-757, B-767, B-777
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major Oct. 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
Colonel March 1, 2016
(Current as of January 2020)