(Retired as of June 2017) Chief Master Sergeant Stephen A. Brown is Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The 507th ARW is the largest Air Force Reserve flying unit in the state of Oklahoma consisting of three subordinate groups, eleven squadrons and one flight, employing over 1,100 men and women.
Approximately 200 members of the 507th ARW are traditional civilian employees or Air Reserve Technicians (ARTs) who serve as a full-time support cadre. The wing operates and maintains the KC-135R “Stratotanker” aircraft providing world-wide aerial refueling to U.S. military and NATO aircraft. As Command Chief, CMSgt Brown advises the commander on matters influencing the health, morale, welfare and effective utilization of reserve enlisted members within the wing.
Chief Brown entered the Air Force in October 1984. He graduated from the jet engine specialist course at Chanute Air Force Base, Ill., in February 1985. In 1990, he enlisted in the Air Force Reserve and became an Air Reserve Technician training Reservists on all phases of jet engine inspection, repair and test. In 1996, Chief Brown joined the Oklahoma Air National Guard at Will Rogers Air Guard Base in Oklahoma City Okla. where he was a Propulsion Technician for the C-130 Hercules aircraft. In 1997, he rejoined the Air Force Reserves as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee where he supported propulsion maintenance as an advisor, equipment specialist, supervisor, manager and superintendent for depot production.
As a civilian, Chief Brown owned a martial arts academy as a Master Instructor, fourth-degree black belt in Taekwondo and second-degree in sword. He has worked as a civil service employee for more than 25 years in jet engine shops, test cells and on the flightline. He was a Production Superintendent on the C-5/C-141 flightline and a Flight Chief for the C-17 inspection team. He currently is employed at Tinker AFB OK as the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center Propulsion Group Quality Assurance Director.
1986 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory School, Dover AFB, Del.
1989 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Dover AFB, Del.
1993 Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Program
1993 Associate of Science in Aircraft Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
1999 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Program
2009 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2009 Master of Science in Aerospace Administration and Logistics, Southeastern Oklahoma State University
2010 Squadron Officer School Correspondence Program
2011 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Air Force Smart Operations (AFSO) 21 Senior Leader Course, Randolph AFB, Texas
2012 Command Chief Master Sergeant Orientation, Robins AFB, Ga.
2013 Air Command and Staff College Correspondence Program
2013 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course (active duty), Lackland AFB, Texas
2014 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2015 Projects, Programs and Professionalism Leadership Course, University of Tennessee
1. Oct 1984 - Nov 1984, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. Dec 1984 - Feb 1985, Student, Technical Training School, Chanute AFB, Ill.
3. Feb 1985 - Mar 1990, Jet Engine Technician, 436th Field Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
4. Jul 1990 - Aug 1996, Jet Engine Technician, ART, 512th Field Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
5. Sept 1996 - Aug 1997,Propulsion Technician, 137th Airlift Wing, Will Rogers ANG, Oklahoma City, Okla.
6. Aug 1997 - Sept 2000, Equipment Specialist, Propulsion Directorate, SA-ALC, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. Oct 2000 - Aug 2002, Equipment Specialist, Propulsion Directorate, OC-ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. Aug 2002 - Feb 2012, Superintendent, 76th Propulsion Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. Feb 2008 - Feb 2012, Senior Enlisted Advisor, IMA, OC-ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. Jan 2011– May 2011, Superintendent, Quality Assurance, 455 EMXG, Bagram, Afghanistan
11. Mar 2012 – present, Command Chief, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
1986 Senior Airman Below-the-Zone
1986 436th DCM Airman of the Quarter
1989 FAA Airframe and Powerplant License
1995 PEP promotion to Technical Sergeant
2002 FAA Private Pilot License
2003 Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, IMA, senior non-commissioned of the year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
2006 July Chief Master Sergeant
(Current as of October 2015)