(Archived 2015) Former 507th Vice Wing Commander - Retired in 2015 -
Colonel Kevin B. Trayer is the Vice Commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The 507th ARW is the largest Air Force Reserve flying unit in the state of Oklahoma. The wing reports to Fourth Air Force supporting Air Mobility Command's airlift and air refueling requirements, Federal Aviation Administration's flight inspection requirements and United States Strategic Command's alert and emergency war order requirements.
Colonel Trayer earned his commission as a second lieutenant from the USAF Officer Training School in1987. After earning his pilot wings at Columbus AFB, he completed initial C-130E pilot qualification and returned to the 63rd Tactical Airlift Squadron at Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich. In 1989, he was selected as a full-time Air Reserve Technician (ART) serving as the squadron pilot scheduler. After Colonel Trayer served in Operation Desert Shield/Storm, the squadron converted to the KC-135E. He quickly upgraded to Instructor Pilot and served in various capacities at the Squadron, Group, and Wing levels including Crisis Action Team Executive Officer, Single Integrated Operational Plans Manager, Supervisor of Flying, Mission Development Officer, and Chief, Pilot Scheduling.
In 1997 Colonel Trayer transferred to the 315th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C. serving as aircraft commander in the C-17A. He served as the 317th Airlift Squadron Scheduling and Training Officer as well as Assistant Flight Commander after becoming a traditional reservist in 1999.
Colonel Trayer was assigned to the U.S. Joint Forces Command (USJFCOM) from 2002 through 2005 as a current operations officer in J3 and was selected as a Joint Operations Center, Command Duty Officer. Colonel Trayer also served in the USJFCOM Washington Liaison Office at the Pentagon.
In 2005 Colonel Trayer was assigned to the 618th Tanker, Airlift Control Center (TACC), Scott AFB, Ill. He served in various roles in the majority of directorates within the TACC to include XOZ (command and control). He served as the single point of contact for AMC mission execution serving as the command's representative to the Joint Staff, Air Force Watch Cell, National Military Command Center, U.S. Transportation Command, the DOD and other agencies. As XOZ "Senior" he provided immediate oversight and decision making for all AMC command and control efforts. While at Scott, he also stood up the highly regarded AMC fuel efficiency office. He completed his tour at Scott AFB as the Senior Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) to XOB, the Mobility Management Directorate, in 2012.
In his civilian career, Colonel Trayer is a pilot for a major airline. He resides in Aviston, Ill. with his wife and their two children.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Bob Jones University, Greenville, S.C. (Cum Laude Graduate)
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 USAF Advanced Instrument School, Randolph AFB, Texas
1998 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 Master of Arts, Management & Leadership, Webster University, St Louis, MO (Honors Graduate)
1. March 1987 - March 1992, C-130E Aircraft Commander, Pilot Scheduler, 63rd Tactical Airlift Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
2. April 1992 - April 1993, KC-135E Pilot Scheduler, 63rd Air Refueling Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
3. May 1993 - May 1995, KC-135E Aircraft Commander, Mission Development Officer, 927th Operations Support Flight, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
4. June 1995 - October 1997, KC-135E Instructor Pilot, Wing Plans Officer, 927th Air Refueling Wing, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
5. November 1997 - October 2002, C-17A Aircraft Commander, Training Officer, Assistant Flight Commander, 317th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
6. November 2002 - August 2005, Current Operations Officer, United States Joint Forces Command, 953rd Reserve Support Squadron, Norfolk NAS, Va.
7. September 2005 - March 2008, Battle Staff Director, IMA to Division Chief, Theater Direct Delivery, Acting Senior IMA to the Director, Command and Control, 618th TACC, Scott AFB, IL
8. April 2008 - August 2012, Senior IMA to the Director, Mobility Management and Senior Director of Operations, 618th TACC, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. November 2008 - September 2012, Chief and Director of Operations, AMC Aviation Fuel Efficiency Office, Attached to HQ AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. August 2012 - Present, Vice Commander 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,500 military and commercial aircraft
Aircraft flown: C-130E, C-17A, KC-135E/R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star device
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze star devices
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Emirate of Kuwait)
1991 Reserve Officers Association MG Marchbanks Aircrew Achievement Award
1995 Air Force Reserve Operations Plans Manager of the Year
1995 22nd AF Operations Plans Manager of the Year
2010 Federal Energy Management Program Award Winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 5, 1987
First Lieutenant June 13, 1989
Captain August 6, 1992
Major August 12, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel October 2, 2003
Colonel March 28, 2008