(Archived 2015) Former 507th Operations Group Commander -
Colonel Thomas K. "TK" Smith, Jr. was the commander of the 507th Operations Group, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. The group operates twelve KC-135R "Stratotanker" aircraft, as well as the FAA Bombardier Challenger 601 aircraft. The group supports Air Mobility Command's airlift and air refueling requirements, Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) flight inspection requirements and United States Strategic Command's (USSTRATCOM) alert and emergency war order requirements.
Colonel Smith is a distinguished graduate of the United States Air Force Academy as well as a Guggenheim Scholar. He has served in various leadership roles in four different major commands and also as a USAFA assistant professor. In 2001, he entered the Air Force Reserve and has seen duty as instructor aircraft commander, pilot resource manager, operations officer, and deputy operations group commander.
He has led missions in support of Operations ALLIED FORCE, JOINT GUARDIAN, PROVIDE COMFORT, NORTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, and ENDURING FREEDOM. In 2011, he deployed and served as team chief in the U.S. European Command Joint Operations Center during the initial actions of Operations ODYSSEY DAWN and UNIFIED PROTECTOR.
He is a command pilot, with more than 6,000 hours which include over 350 combat and combat support hours.
1985 Washington Internship for Students of Engineering, George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia
1986 Bachelor of Science in Engineering Mechanics, Distinguished Graduate, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1987 Master of Science in Flight Structural Engineering, Columbia University, New York City, N.Y.
1992 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2005 Air War College (Correspondence)
2009 Leadership, Today and Tomorrow Seminar, Washington District of Columbia
1. May 1986 - May 1987: Guggenheim Fellowship, Air Force Institute of Technology, Columbia University, New York City, N.Y.
2. June 1987 - June 1988: student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
3. June 1988 - February 1992: T-38 flight commander, 97th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. February 1992 - June 1995: C-5 flight commander/examiner aircraft commander, 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
5. June 1995 - October 1998: assistant professor, Engineering Mechanics, Department of Engineering Mechanics, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
6. October 1998 - October 2001: Chief, Standardization and Evaluation/C-21 examiner aircraft commander, 76th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
7. October 2001 - January 2006: pilot resource manager/C-5 instructor aircraft commander, 68th Airlift Squadron, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
8. January 2006 - May 2007: Director of Operations/C-5 Instructor Aircraft Commander, 433rd Operational Support Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. May 2007 - September 2012: Deputy Commander, 433rd Operations Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. September 2012 - Present: Commander, 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: Over 6,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, C-5A, C-5B, C-5C, T-3A, C-21A, KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one silver and one bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organization Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with one silver oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with two devices
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one 'M' device
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major January 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel September 12, 2002
Colonel July 17, 2012
(Current as of June 2013)