Colonel Travis S. Caughlin is the commander of the 507th Maintenance Group, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. He is responsible for aircraft maintenance, sortie generation and maintenance support activities for all assigned KC-135 aircraft. Col Caughlin leads personnel in 23 career fields assigned to the Aircraft Maintenance and Maintenance Squadrons, as well as Maintenance Operations and Quality Assurance Sections. He is responsible for personnel, aircraft and equipment readiness in support of United States Strategic Command’s nuclear deterrence mission and conventional world-wide air refueling taskings.
Col Caughlin entered the Air Force in March 1987, completing aircraft crew chief technical training in November 1987. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio and was commissioned through the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science after being selected for the Deserving Airman Commissioning Program. He has been an Air Force Reservist for 30 years, with 15 as a full-time Air Reserve Technician, serving in leadership positions in tanker, bomber, airlift and fighter units in Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada and Oklahoma, and on a Numbered Air Force Logistics Division staff in California. Prior to his current position, Col Caughlin served as Deputy Commander for Maintenance for the 917th Fighter Group, the only independent, unit-equipped fighter group in Air Force Reserve Command, where he led maintenance, weapons and munitions functions for a fleet of A-10 attack aircraft as well as the command’s TF34 Engine Regionalized Repair Center.
1992 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
1999 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2002 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2003 Air Combat Command Combat Wing Maintenance Officer Course, Langley AFB, Virginia
2005 USAF Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School (AMMOS), Nellis AFB, Nevada
2005 Air Force Combat Ammunition Center, Beale AFB, California
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 United States Strategic Command Nuclear Commander’s Course, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
1. November 1987 - November 1991, Aerospace Repair Technician, 433d Field Maintenance Squadron, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas (February 1991 - May 1991, Operation DESERT STORM mobilization)
2. November 1991 - February 1995, C-5 Crew Chief, 433d Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas (December 1992 – April 1993, Flying Crew Chief, Operation RESTORE HOPE, Somalia) (August 1993 - October 1993, Flying Crew Chief, Operation SUPPORT HOPE, Rwanda)
3. February 1995 - February 1998, Executive Officer, 433d Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. February 1998 - December 1998, Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer-in-Charge, 433d Aircraft Generation Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. December 1998 - July 2000, Maintenance/Propulsion/Avionics Flights Officer-in-Charge, 433d Maintenance Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. July 2000 - January 2002, Fabrication/Accessories/Aerospace Ground Equipment Flights Officer-in-Charge, 433d Maintenance Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
7. January 2002 - June 2003, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 93d Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La. (May 2002 - September 2002, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 40th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory)
8. June 2003 - May 2005, Commander, 717th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
9. May 2005 - December 2006, Assistant Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Headquarters Fourth Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
10. December 2006 - August 2008, Deputy Commander, 442d Maintenance Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. August 2008 - August 2011, Director of Maintenance, 926th Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
12. August 2011 - September 2013, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 917th Fighter Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. September 2013 - Present, Commander, 507th Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB, Okla. (January 2015 - July 2015, Senior Air Reserve Component Advisor, Air Force Central Command Forward, Southwest Asia)
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with one silver and one bronze oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 “M” devices and silver hourglass device
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 23, 1995
First Lieutenant Feb. 23, 1997
Captain Sept. 29, 2000
Major Sept. 29, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 29, 2009
Colonel March 12, 2014
(Current as of November 2017)