|COLONEL RUSSELL A. MUNCY|
Colonel Russell A. Muncy is commander of the 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. The 507th ARW consists of three subordinate groups, nine squadrons, six flights, and employs approximately 1,140 men and women. This Air Force Reserve Command wing reports to Fourth Air Force and supports Air Mobility Command's airlift and air refueling requirements, Federal Aviation Administration's flight inspection requirements and United States Strategic Command's alert and emergency war order requirements.
The 507th ARW performs daily KC-135 flight operations, supports overseas deployments and provides peacetime support functions for the 513th Air Control Group, the Reserve Command's first Airborne Warning and Control Systems organization. The 507th ARW is also the first Air Force Reserve unit to serve as a host wing for an associate Air National Guard wing. Maintenance and aircrew members from Oklahoma ANG's 137th Air Refueling Wing currently serve as equal partners with the 507th. Under the associate concept, the 507th ARW retains ownership of the assigned KC-135R aircraft while members of both wings maintain and fly those aircraft.
Colonel Muncy was commissioned from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1983 and served on active duty as a KC-135A/R pilot and squadron flying safety officer before leaving the service in December 1990. He reentered the service with the Air Force Reserve in 1995 serving as a pilot, flying safety officer, operations plans officer, chief pilot, director of operations, group commander, vice wing commander and wing commander since that time. Col Muncy has also served at the MAJCOM level as the Air Force Reserve Command headquarters tanker operations officer at Robins Air Force Base, Ga., where he orchestrated AFRC's tanker operations in response to the events of September 11, 2001. He has deployed numerous times in support of Operations DESERT SHIELD, JOINT FORGE, DELIBERATE GUARD, NORTHERN WATCH and ENDURING FREEDOM and deployed in a joint role for operations IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN. He met the requirements for Level II Joint Certification in 2013.
1983 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1989 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 ACC Flight Safety Program Management Course, Dyess AFB, Texas
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Masters Degree, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2012 DIRMOBFOR-Air Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2012 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, Washington DC
1. September 1983 - October 1984: Student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. October 1984 - April 1985: Student, KC-135A weapons systems training, Castle AFB, California
3. April 1985 - October 1988: KC-135A/R co-pilot, aircraft commander and flying safety officer, 306 ARW, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. October 1988 - December 1990: KC-135R aircraft commander and flying safety officer, 305 ARW, Grissom AFB, Ind.
5. January 1991 - October 1995: break in military service; corporate aviation, insurance auditor and medical management career fields
6. October 1995 - December 2000: operations plans officer, flying safety officer and instructor pilot, 434 ARW, Grissom Air Reserve Base, Ind.
7. December 2000 - March 2001: chief pilot, 74th Air Refueling Squadron, Grissom ARB, Ind.
8. March 2001 - October 2002: operations officer, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
9. October 2002 - August 2007: operations officer, 64th Air Refueling Squadron, 939th Operations Group, Portland IAP, Ore.
10. August 2007 - June 2010: commander, 459th Operations Group, JB Andrews, Md.
11. June 2010 - February 2011: vice commander, 459th Air Refueling Wing, JB Andrews, Md.
12. March 2011 - October 2011: commander, 459th Air Refueling Wing, JB Andrews, Md.
13 October 2011- Present: commander, 507th Air Refueling Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Aug 2010 - Feb 2011: Chief of Staff, Joint Forces Special Operations Component Command-Iraq, Camp Liberty, Baghdad, Iraq
Feb 2013: Met point requirements for Level II Joint Certification
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 4275 hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135A/R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with one silver oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two bronze service stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one bronze service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant August 5, 1983
First Lieutenant August 5, 1985
Captain August 5, 1987, recalculated to June 2, 1992 due to break in service
Major June 16, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel September 30, 2004
Colonel February 7, 2008
(Current as of April 2013)